First of all, Happy New Year! I hope you had a great holiday and enjoyed some time away from work with family, I know I did and I’m feeling good and refreshed.
Today’s post is a cool one, a little bit of back story quickly. A month or so ago I reached out to a handful of smaller custom CAD & Engineering computer makers with a proposal that we would work together in specing and building the best all around Engineering/CAD PC for 2017, the requirements were pretty straight forward. Here are the Basics:
- The PC needed to be able to easily handle 3D Cad (ie. Civil 3d, Inventer, Solidworks etc..).
- If needed to be able to easily handle video editing/production (this one was for more for me to compare it to other machines since I make a quite a few videos for the youtube channel). Also helpful when working with something I’m really excited about, drone data/footage (coming in future videos!).
- It needed to be relatively quiet (will be spending many hours next to it), as well as boot up quickly (this is where the SSD came into play).
- and finally I wanted it to be VR capable for some future project and being able to test out some new tech as well as the occasional gaming video/live stream 🙂
So, after talking with a few companies back and forth about the project, I found the perfect fit and partnered up with Xi Computer to build the this ultimate cad pc! After talking to them in some emails and discussion we chose our setup and they built and sent it to me within 2 weeks of locking down the specs!
I got the PC last week and have just filmed and uploaded the Uboxing and showcase of the PC and the parts we picked, in the coming weeks/months I’ll provide updates on here and social media as to how it’s been performing and any upgrades I make along the way.
So lets get started with the video below and keep reading after for a full part list as well as a few pictures:
Here are the Specs:
Xi Mtower Workstation Specs:
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz-Hi-Perf. Sealed Water Cooling Dual Fan Radiator 8MB Shared L3 Cache DMI 2.0 Quad-Core 6th Gen. 14nm w/Artic Silver® 5 Thermal Compound
MEMORY: 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz High Performance Aluminum Heat Spreader
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 OC 8GB GDDR5X VRAM PCIe – DL DVI-D/HDMI 2.0/DisplayPort 1.4 Outputs-Supports four monitors
HDD: 512GB Solid State Drive NVMe Samsung® 950 PRO M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 2500/1500MB/s
POWER: 850W Rosewill® Glacier 850M 80 Plus Bronze Certified Single 12V+ Rail Silent 135mm 2 Ball-bearing Fan 82-87% efficiency Active PFC PSU
MOUSE: Logitech® M510 Cordless Optical Mouse 5 Buttons + Side-to-Side Scrolling Programmable
KEYBOARD: Logitech® K120
As always thank you so much for watching and reading! and make sure you leave a comment and let me know what you think!
I’m super excited to be starting off the new year with a bang and to be working with @Xi to bring you guys some cool new videos and info with regards to CAD tech and gear!
Dont forget to check out Xi Computer for a Custom CAD/Engineering PC: http://cadintentions.com/xi
Here Are a few quick pictures of the PC:
Latest posts by Brandon (see all)
- Autocad How to Fix a Missing Plot Style (.ctb or .stb) – Quick & Easy Method! | 2 Minute Tuesday - January, 1970
- AutoCAD Custom Dimension Style Setup Imperial & Metric! – Dimension Style Tricks | 2 Minute Tuesday - January, 1970
- AutoCAD XREF Tips & Settings: Overlay vs Attach + More! – External References | 2 Minute Tuesday - January, 1970